Position: Associate Professor
Office location: Science Education and Research Center (SERC) , Room 382
Phone number: 215-204-6973
Joined CIS: 2008
Haibin Ling received the B.S. degree in mathematics and the MS degree in computer science from Peking University, China, in 1997 and 2000, respectively, and the PhD degree from the University of Maryland, College Park, in Computer Science in 2006. From 2000 to 2001, he was an assistant researcher at Microsoft Research Asia. From 2006 to 2007, he worked as a postdoctoral scientist at the University of California Los Angeles. After that, he joined Siemens Corporate Research as a research scientist. Since fall 2008, he has been with Temple University where he is now an Associate Professor. Dr. Ling's research interests include computer vision, medical image analysis, human computer interaction, and machine learning. He received the Best Student Paper Award at the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST) in 2003, and the NSF CAREER Award in 2014. He has served as a Guest Co-Editor for Pattern Recognition and Area Chairs for CVPR 2014 and CVPR 2016.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA, 2006
- M.S., Computer Science, Peking University, Beijing, China, 2000
- B.S., Mathematics (major: Probability and Statistics), Peking University, Beijing, China, 1997
Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, Medical Image Analysis, Visual Privacy Protection, Human Computer Interaction
- Weiming Hu, Nianhua Xie, Ruiguang Hu, Haibin Ling, Qiang Chen, Shuicheng Yan, and Stephen Maybank. Bin Ratio-Based Histogram Distances and Their Application to Image Classification, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI), 36(12): 2338--2352, 2014.
- Jin Sun and Haibin Ling. Scale and Object Aware Image Thumbnailing, International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), 104:135--153, 2013.
- Xue Mei and Haibin Ling. Robust Visual Tracking and Vehicle Classification via Sparse Representation, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI), 33(11):2259--2272, 2011.
- Haibin Ling and Kazunori Okada. An Efficient Earth Mover's Distance Algorithm for Robust Histogram Comparison, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI), 29(5):840-853, 2007.
- Haibin Ling and David W. Jacobs. Shape Classification Using the Inner-Distance, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI), 29(2):286-299, 2007.