We have tentatively scheduled the following activities for the workshop.
- The workshop starts with welcoming remarks by provost of host
institute and host.
- Session on CAREER Program. In this session, invited speakers will introduce the CAREER Program and discuss proposal writing guidelines including topics such as developing broader impacts and successful education plans.
- Session on experiences by previous CAREER awardees. Our 5 invited speakers will talk
about their experiences, including tips on preparing for the CAREER award, balancing teaching and research, and so on. Participants will have a change of a Q&A with the past awardees during this session and throughout the workshop.
- Mock review panel. Prior to the workshop, workshop participants will have a chance to go over sample CAREER proposals (to be provided by NSF) and upload their reviews. Participants who are unfamiliar with the technical content of the sample proposals will be encouraged to review based on other criteria, for example, clarity, writing style, outreach, and so on. In the mock review panel session, the panelists will discuss their comments of these proposals and then rank these proposals in one of the three categories: Highly Competitive (primary consideration), Competitive (secondary consideration), and Not Competitive (do not consider). Envisioned is that each mock review panel will be 2-hours long and involved 13-16 participants in each panel.
- Q&A session. Workshop participants will have an opportunity to interact with the program directors and other invited guests during this session to learn more about NSF programs in the different divisions, career advice, and so on.
- The workshop ends with a reception at Corner Bakery.
|7:30 - 8:30
||Registration. Breakfast will be provided (at TUCC 2nd Floor)
|8:30 - 9:00
||Opening Remarks by Dr. Hai-Lung Dai, Temple University Provost, and Dr.Jie Wu, workshop host (Room 222)
|9:00 - 10:00
||Overview of NSF CISE and CAREER program by Dr. Deborah Lockhart from NSF (Room 222)
|10:00 - 10:30
||Career Awardee Talk Session I by Dr. Tommaso Melodia (SUNY
Buffalo) and Dr. Thomas Hacker (Purdue) (Room 222)
|10:30 - 11:00
||Coffee Break I
|11:00 - 11:45
||Career Awardee Talks Session II, by Dr. Ani Hsieh (Drexel), Dr. Sayeef Salahuddin (Berkeley), and Dr. Nate Foster (Cornell) (Room 222)
|11:45 - 12:15
||Q & A with Career Awardees (Room 222)
|12:15 - 1:30
||Lunch (at TUCC)
|1:30 - 3:30
||Mock Panel Discussion (7 parallel sessions*)
|3:30 - 4:00
||Cofee Break II
|4:00 - 4:30
||Mock Panel Project Summaries (7 Parallel sessions*)
|4:30 - 5:00
||Q & A with NSF Program Directors Closing remarks by Dr. Jie Wu, workshop host (Room 222)
|5:00 - 6:30
||Reception (at Cornery Bakery. Please refer to map for directions)
* Please refer to program for room numbers
Mock Panel Discussion Rooms
- Group 1: Room 225. Dr. Deborah Lockhart
- Group 2: Room 206. Dr. Sam Weber
- Group 3: Room 207. Dr. Mitra Basu
- Group 4: Room 208. Dr. Ken Whang
- Group 5: Room 216. Dr. Krishna Kant
- Group 6: Room 218. Dr. Tracy Kimbrel
- Group 7: Room 205. Dr. Thyagarajan Nandagopal
We have a computer lab with Internet access limited access to printing in Room 220.
Map of Conference Rooms
||January 30, 2013
||March 15, 2013
Temple University Center City Campus
1515 Market Street
View Larger Map